Dustin has always complained of his ties being too fat, especially his midges.  He didn’t understand what he was doing wrong;  that was until he discovered the Dai-Ryki hooks.  Previously he tied with TMC…whatever I forgot the name, again why he needs to post.  The only problem, a lot of people complain of the Dai Ryki hooks breaking.  Have any of you had that experience?  What brand of hooks do you guys and gals prefer?

troutrageous1

For tying, as long as they're sharp and affordable, they're typically fine by me. Figure they just end up getting lost anyway. I can't say I've Took a peek through my supplies, working through a mix of Mustad & Daiichi right now for what it's worth.

Juan Ramirez

I use them all, but for the most part, I use Dia-Riki and Montana Fly Company hooks. These are cheaper and really easy for me to obtain. I have not had many problems with either company. I think that TMC makes the best hook, but you also pay for the quality. Also, TMC offers different styles of hooks others don't offer.

Midge Man

Even though it costs me I pretty much stay with TMC as they've got a good selection of styles, sizes and their quality is superior. My second choice would be Dia-Riki and they are almost half the price of TMC, but their hooks hold up and I have never had a problem with any of their hooks. Montana Fly Company also puts out their line of hooks at about half the price of the TMCs, but doesn't have quite the selection of styles and I've actually had a couple of instances hook bending with the Montanas. In both cases I landed the fish, but the hook bent on extraction with forceps.
As far as fat midges go… It's just a matter of thread control, the right thread so it will lay flat and for someone kind of new to tying, understanding that dubbing a size 22 or 24 takes just a whisper of dubbing. On the midges sometimes dubbing means working with just a very few strands of very fine dubbing and it will all come together for you in time. Another thing to consider is midge larva and pupa contract and expand and you can sometimes be holding a skinny size 20 natural that tightens up and becomes a size 24 fatty. The fish will generally hit either. If you create a basic profile and get the color variation right…. the trout will come!

Like Juan, I use them all too. I have a good number of Bass Pro White River Fly Shop hooks for midges and other small stuff. I like Mustad for my bigger patterns. I've even used some hooks intended for baitfishing with crickets made by a small local company in MS. It's all about finding the right hook for the pattern you're tying. I don't know if one brand could cover it all.

Thanks for all the input guys. Maybe I havent had the right style TMC. It just seems that with the Dia-Riki the wire is thiner so i can but i smaller bead on a size 20. Also it seems that i have a lot more hook to work with, but naturally that will come with a smaller bead.

Dustin

Bigerrfish

Dustin,
Another thing to consider is how hard are you on the hooks while on the stream. Im not too nice to my flies I rip them from trees and yank them from rocks, Im hard on them with my forcepts while removing them from the lip.

The Dia-Riki is a harder metal meaning it has less bend before it breaks, while pinching barbs you will break a Dia-Riki or two.. You can use that hardness to your advantage depending on the size of the hook and how you treat it..
I use TMC 2457, 2488, 2488h, and 200r for anything 18 or smaller. For the simple reason that they hold the lip the best for me over all.
Josh

Ok I think i figured out my hooks. I got a package of TMC 20 and 22 for christmas that i have been tying with. I didnt pay much attention as to the hook number so i compared the 2457, 2488h and the 2488. It seems that i got the 2488h because they are a much thicker with a straight eye. I was looking through my hooks and found some other TMC size 20 that are much thinner. So im prob going to go back to the TMC now that I know the difference in the hooks. Thanks for giving me those hook numbers Josh.

Dustin