bristol-bay-615

Bristol Bay – I have never visited you, but I dream of you.  Bristol Bay – you have been a life source to so many walks of life for generations.  Bristol Bay – you are home to the largest run of sockeye salmon in the world.  Bristol Bay – your waters are priceless.  Bristol Bay – you need our help.

Bristol Bay is one of those magical places, a place that stirs emotions, visions and touches lives.  I’ve never been to Bristol Bay, but I cannot help but be utterly captivated by this region.  The Pebble Mine, with all its destructive impacts, is the primary reason why I decided to focus my life and my education on fisheries conservation.  I know the Pebble Mine will destroy a great and wild place, and I want to do all that I can to stop the madness.

I’m not alone in this fight – the people of the region have spoken.  The people know what the largest open pit mine in the world will do to the wild and pristine place they call home.  Pebble Partnership tries to spin this environmental catastrophe as a win-win for all involved.  One of the things the Pebble Partnership must do is dam a river to create a tailing pond.   Have we not learned our lesson about damming salmon spawning rivers?  Not only that, think about all the chemicals that will leach into the ground water supply and water table.  Consider all of those toxins flowing into the lifeblood of the region.  Pebble claims this will not impact the salmon runs and salmon industry are completely erroneous. Moreover, mining means development, and development means roads.  These roads will spread across miles and miles of salmon habitat.  Sediment transport anyone?  Not to mention the other water quality impacts vehicles have to streams.  Do you know how many pollutants come from vehicles?  Copper, extremely detrimental to fish, comes from brakes…and the list goes on.  Who wins from this again?  Only the Pebble Partnership.

Colorado still pays the price for its mining heritage.  Over a century later, research is conducted to find the best plan of action to handle all of the destruction done by mining.   Hundreds of miles of stream still bear mining scars.  Hundreds of miles of stream have not recovered.  Species have been lost forever.  Is this the future we want for Bristol Bay?

Educate yourself about Bristol Bay

Keep fighting the fight

NO PEBBLE MINE!

Chris Hunt

Stephanie… great work! Thanks on behalf of Trout Unlimited and all who are working to keep this amazing place intact. Hope you can make it to the Bristol Bay Road Show tomorrow night in Denver … for more details, visit savebristolbay.org.

-Chris

It's frustrating when we are still unwilling to learn from our mistakes. Places like these need to be protected, they need to be more than an number in some corporations list of assets.

Great post Stephanie.

Travis

the first time i heard about pebble mine was at a trout bums premier in bend, oregon 3-4 years ago. being a native alaskan, growing up there for 18 years I was pissed that a bunch of "lower 48'ers" were trying to interfere in My state's industry. as that was often the case. since then, my point of view has done a 180.

on a flight to from AK back to Oregon a couple years ago I sat next to a mine safety/accident specialist. he was returning from a gold mine that directly affected some of my homewaters in Interior Alaska. I asked him what the verdict was on the accident probability of this particular mine. he said its not if, it's when, something goes wrong, but he had no control of it. I asked him about pebble and he laughed, he garaunteed a catastrophic accident would happen during the life cycle of the mine.

thanks for your post stephanie, stopping pebble is a fight worth fighting

Joe

I saw a show on Nat Geo last year about this. They came to the same conclusion you have…it's a BAD idea. Sadly people seem to never learn from past mistakes.

Tim B. Smith

It's good to see you put this out there, Stephanie. As much as I have fallen in love with Colorado, I have been stunned to see what mining has been allowed to do here. The disturbances along the river on a simple drive up I-70 into the mountains is enough to drop your jaw. I have yet to visit Alaska but I hope to some day. It would be nice to think fisheries and wilderness have enough priority to avoid this dangerous exposure.

HighPlainsFlyFisher

Very well put…we can only hope that the powers that be choose to listen to our voices of reason instead of following the path taken by previous greedy corporations and governments. Getting the word out is half the battle , great job!

Jared

Bristol Bay – you are home to the largest run of sockeye salmon in the world. Bristol Bay – your waters are priceless. Bristol Bay – you need our help.